Palmetto Announces Prior Authorization Workshops
Palmetto GBA asked AAA to share the following announcement with our members.
Repetitive Scheduled Non-Emergent Ambulance Transportation Documentation Requirements—North Carolina
Palmetto GBA will hold Repetitive Scheduled Non-Emergent Ambulance Transportation Prior Authorization Demonstration face-to-face workshops in North Carolina for ambulance providers providing repetitive scheduled non-emergent transports to familiarize them with The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) demonstration currently going on in South Carolina.
These workshops are designed to familiarize providers, whose ambulances are garaged in potential demonstration expansion states, with demonstration requirements including the process of submitting a prior authorization request, billing for repetitive scheduled non-emergent ambulance transports under the repetitive scheduled non-emergent transportation demonstration, as well as common errors identified during the demonstration in South Carolina. Each event will include a question and answer period at the end of the formal presentation.
The purpose of the current prior authorization demonstration is to ensure that beneficiaries continue to receive medically necessary care while reducing expenditures and minimizing the risk of improper payments to protect the Medicare Trust Fund by granting provisional affirmation for a service prior to submission of the claim. Prior authorization allows providers and suppliers to address issues with claims prior to rendering services and to avoid the appeal process.
Prior authorization will not create new clinical documentation requirements. Instead, it will require the same information necessary to support Medicare payment, just earlier in the process.
- Repetitive Scheduled Non-Emergent Ambulance Transportation Demonstration Expansion Regulations
- Documentation Requirements
- Proper Claim Submission
- Q & A
- These workshops will provide insight for new, intermediate or advanced staff; however, we suggest that providers who are new to Medicare or have new staff attend online learning courses for beginners on the Palmetto GBA website. Basic billing and other online educational resources can be found in the Self-Paced Learning section under the Learning and Education link on the left navigation.
- CMS requires that Medicare contractors track all educational activities, which consists of capturing the provider’s six-digit Provider Transaction Access Number (PTAN) and National Provider Identifier (NPI). Please bring this information when attending the workshop.
Ambulance Prior Authorization Workshop: Repetitive Scheduled Non-Emergent Ambulance Transports
Audience: Part B Ambulance providers of repetitive scheduled non-emergent ambulance transports
Event Type: In Person Seminar
How to Register
The schedule of workshops and registration information is listed below. To reserve your seat or find out more about the workshops in your area, please make sure you:
- Create a profile at the new Event Registration Portal to create an account. Your existing Workshops database profile is not linked to the new portal as the profile creation process is different.
- Log in your Event Registration Portal account and you will be able to register yourself or other people for any workshops hosted in the portal before registration closes. Each workshop will have a separate registration link. For the workshops that Palmetto GBA sponsors, Palmetto GBA’s registration page will be displayed. If the state Association is sponsoring the workshop, the link will take you directly to the Association’s registration page.
**As a reminder, providers are encouraged to telephone the Provider Contact Center (PCC) at 855-696-0705 with any claim specific questions they may have as these will not be able to be addressed at the workshop.