Updated CDC Guidance for EMS
On July 15, 2020 the Centers for Disease Control issued an updated guidance for EMS personnel in response to the ongoing Public Health Emergency.
Summary of Key Changes for the EMS Guidance:
- Reorganized recommendations into 2 sections:
- Recommended infection prevention and control (IPC) practices for routine activities during the pandemic.
- Recommended IPC practices when caring for a patient with suspected or confirmed SARS-CoV-2 infection.
- Added recommendations that were included in healthcare IPC FAQs addressing:
- Universal use of PPE for healthcare personnel working in communities with moderate to sustained transmission of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19
- Creating a process for responding to SARS-CoV-2 exposures among healthcare personnel and others.